** ON SALE NOW **
ISLES OF SCILLY BIRD AND NATURAL HISTORY REVIEW 2015
BUMPER ISSUE – 32 EXTRA PAGES!
£15 (plus £2.50 P&P)
Or join the Isles of Scilly Bird Group (ISBG) as a ‘Friend’ and receive the Review post-free. (Application Form available to download from the Membership page or from the address below)
Carole Cilia, Hivernia, Jackson’s Hill, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly TR21 0JZ
Phone: 01720 423540
Members may collect their copies at the October Log at the Scillonian Club, St Mary’s. Copies may also be purchased there.
2015 Review Highlights:
• 100s of superb photos
• Full details of all 246 bird species seen during the year, including Scilly’s first Cedar Waxwing
• The Great Heron Spring – a fully illustrated review of the 10 species of large wading bird seen between April and June. 2015 was the best spring migration year in a long time
• Finders’ Reports on Cedar Waxwing, Black Stork, Pechora Pipit and others
• Full details of the exciting first sighting of a Bowhead Whale for Britain and Europe
• Comprehensive annual reports on:
o bird ringing, seabird monitoring and the Seabird Recovery Project
o Isles of Scilly Wildlife Trust conservation activities
o cetaceans and other sea creatures
o butterflies, moths and many other insect groups
o bats and other mammals
• A full update on the status of butterflies 2000-2015
• The Isles of Scilly Bird Checklist – packed with information
• And much more.
Correction: Please note that the photos of Yellow Wagtail flavissima and probable Blue-headed Wagtail on pp130-1 have been accidentally transposed.
Back Copies available:
2014 – £10 2002, 2005-2013 inclusive – £5 each
Plus P&P (subject to number of copies purchased)
Order from Carole Cilia – address above.
An Invitation to all Photographers
The Isles of Scilly Bird Group is looking for high resolution images for possible inclusion in next year’s Bird and Natural History Review. Photographs must have been taken on the Islands between January 1st and December 31st 2016.
They need not just be of birds; we would also be interested to see your moths, butterflies, dragonflies, cetaceans etc.
Guidelines for the submission of images for possible publication:
1. Images should be 300dpi, 8 bit, RGB.
2. Images should be left un-cropped.
3. Images should be un-sharpened. This is most important.
4. Optimise the levels in Photoshop if you wish but please do not manipulate colour.
5. Fill in your details (e.g. photographer’s name, date photo was taken and where etc) in the ‘file info’ field of Photoshop.
6. Please do not copyright or watermark. All photographers will be fully acknowledged in print.
7. Save files either as tiffs or high quality jpegs and:
a. Supply on DVD to the address below,
b. Or – request a link to my shared Dropbox folder,
c. Or – send them to me in separate emails, as long as there are only one or two images and the un-cropped files are no more than 10 Mb.
Unfortunately we are not able to offer any financial reward for the use of your photos. However, if we publish three or more you will receive a free copy of the Review (worth £15). Two photos published would allow you to buy a copy for £5 and for one photo published it would be £10.
Please feel free to send your photos as soon as you are able. However, the cut-off date is March 1st 2017. Any photos received after that date may risk not being included.
We look forward to seeing your images.
Bahn Noy, Holy Vale, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly TR21 0NT