** ON SALE NOW **
ISLES OF SCILLY BIRD AND NATURAL HISTORY REVIEW 2016
£15 (plus £2.50 P&P)
Or join the Isles of Scilly Bird Group (ISBG) as a ‘Friend’ and receive the Review post-free. (Application Form available to download from the Membership page or from the address below)
Carole Cilia, Hivernia, Jackson’s Hill, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly TR21 0JZ
Phone: 01720 423540
Members may collect their copies at the October Log at the Scillonian Club, St Mary’s. Copies may also be purchased there.
2016 Review Highlights:
- Full of superb artwork and photos
- Full details of all 237 bird species seen during the year, including four species new to Scilly
- A Scillonian Snowy Owl – the illustrated story of one artist’s personal response to this fabulous bird, which graced the islands in spring
- Finders’ Reports on Cliff Swallow, Caspian Gull and Dusky Thrush
- Full details of the first record of Pale-legged Leaf Warbler for Scilly and the Western Palaearctic, sadly found dead
- The full story of Sapphire the Loggerhead Turtle, found exhausted in January and finally re-released to the wild in December after a year’s recuperation
- Comprehensive annual reports on:
- bird ringing, seabird monitoring and the Seabird Recovery Project
- Isles of Scilly Wildlife Trust conservation activities
- cetaceans and other sea creatures
- butterflies, moths and other insect groups
- bats and other mammals
- A comprehensive guide to the Jellyfish and look-alikes of Scilly
- Updates on the status of Craneflies and Stick-insects
- The Isles of Scilly Bird Checklist – packed with information
- And much more.
Back Copies available:
2015 – £10, 2002, 2005-2014 inclusive – £5 each
Plus P&P (subject to number of copies purchased)
Order from Carole Cilia – address above.
An Invitation to all Photographers
The Isles of Scilly Bird Group is looking for high resolution images for possible inclusion in next year’s Bird and Natural History Review. Photographs must have been taken on the Islands between January 1st and December 31st 2017.
They need not just be of birds; we would also be interested to see your moths, butterflies, dragonflies, cetaceans etc.
Guidelines for the submission of images for possible publication:
- Images should be 300dpi, 8 bit, RGB.
- Images should be left un-cropped.
- Images should be un-sharpened. This is most important.
- Optimise the levels in Photoshop if you wish but please do not manipulate colour.
- Fill in your details (e.g. photographer’s name, date photo was taken and where etc) in the ‘file info’ field of Photoshop.
- Please do not copyright or watermark. All photographers will be fully acknowledged in print.
- Save files either as tiffs or high quality jpegs and:
- Supply on DVD to the address below,
- Or – request a link to my shared Dropbox folder,
- Or – send them to me in separate emails, as long as there are only one or two images and the un-cropped files are no more than 10 Mb.
Unfortunately we are not able to offer any financial reward for the use of your photos. However, if we publish three or more you will receive a free copy of the Review (worth £15). Two photos published would allow you to buy a copy for £5 and for one photo published it would be £10.
Please feel free to send your photos as soon as you are able. However, the cut-off date is March 1st 2018. Any photos received after that date may risk not being included.
We look forward to seeing your images.
Martin Goodey, Bahn Noy, Holy Vale, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly TR21 0NT
Back Cover Photos